Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Do They Know?


Welcome to Tuesday.

Short post today, as I realize you probably have a lot to do, including reading other people’s blogs.

I’ll get right to the daily challenge, after a brief background sketch.

On December 31, 2005, my older brother, Mark passed away after a brief illness. He came out of his coma long enough for us to tell him that we loved him, and say goodbye.

I am so very grateful it worked out that way for us. But, often, death steals our loved ones away suddenly – without warning – and all too often, we have neither said a proper goodbye, nor told them how we feel about them.

And now, with my older sister in the hospital and not getting better from a very serious illness, this challenge means all the more to me.

Here it is:

Think of 2 – 5 people in your life you dearly love.

Call them.

Tell them how much you mean to them.

No, don’t wait til tomorrow. There will be a new challenge tomorrow!

Okay, well, if you can’t reach them today, I suppose you can do it tomorrow – but no later.

And then, make it a point to let them know once in awhile that you love them, like them, admire them, are grateful for them. Just don’t let them wonder. Self-forgiveness is so difficult when you know you had the chance but didn’t take it.

Thanks for taking my challenge.

I want you to know how much I appreciate you! Please pass this on.

James

7 comments:

Sugar Jones said...

Beautiful reminder.

People always tell me that thinking about my eventual death is morbid. I tell them that none of us are getting out alive and that I'm hoping I do my best the days that I'm here. Knowing that one day, you will not be able to do or say the things you could have is not morbid.

Olson Family said...

I just want you to know I have only been following this blog for a few days and it is wonderful. I have shared the link to it with friends and family and your posts have really put me in the right frame of mind to go through the day.

James Hofheins said...

Sugar,

Thanks for your comment. I think you're right - when you have the right attitude and knowledge, death isn't morbid.

With my brother, it was a sort of beautiful experience. I promised him I would make it as celebratory as I could, because I knew he was going on to bigger and better things.

Of course I miss him - immensely so. But I kept my promise.

James

James Hofheins said...

Olsen Family,

Thanks so much for your kind words. I really appreciate comments like yours. I don't always have the opportunity to know what resonates and what falls flat.

Your comment gives me hope and helps me continue writing.

James

Sharon Cohen said...

My husband's aunt passed away this morning. She was 58.

We spoke with her last week to assure her that there is life after death. I related some of the stories my husband has shared about the people he sees beyond the veil on a regular basis.

We had the chance to tell her how much we loved her and how we intended to continue our relationship with her beyond the veil. We were calling to invite her to visit once she left this frail existence.

It is important to say all that you can while on this side of the veil. Not everyone can see beyond and commune with those who are passed.

Thanks for your reminder.

James Hofheins said...

heartensoul4u

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please convey my condolences to your husband and other loved ones.

I'm happy to know you were able to assure her of life after death - it's especially heartening to know the veil can be very, very thin.

Thanks so much for your comment.

James

Lori said...

I am sorry. Thank you for the reminder, it is so true one of the greatest feelings when some dies often can be regret. Regret we did not say what we should have.

Praying for your sister.