Monday, October 13, 2008

Daily Unsung Heroes


It’s Monday, October 13, 2008!

In some parts of the country, it’s cold and snowy today. In other places, it’s balmy. Where I am, we’ve been getting snow. I think I’m finally ready for winter. It's nice to know I have a wife and daughter who will take care of me in the cold.

Who takes care of you?

Who helps you manage your personal or business life? If you’re like me, it’s more than one person. Some people have assistants who manage the details; others have spouses who do that for them. For those who work from home, that may be the same person.
Who helps shelter you from the cold?

In most of our business, school or personal lives, there is that someone we really depend on to help us get through it.

Think about it for a few moments. Close your eyes if you need to.

Okay – do you know who it is?

Alright, now, in your mind, ask them this question:

“What have I done for you lately?”

There are so many unsung heroes in our lives. So many people who take such good care of us. If we’re not careful, we can forget the simple things, like saying please and thank you.

If we really get too focused on other things, we may even take unfair advantage of those who help us manage the day. This may impact their loyalty to us, and rightfully so.

So, let’s think about them for today.

As you go throughout the day, take a few minutes and ask what you’ve done for them.

And then, as you think about it, think also of ways you can do something – even something small and simple – to ease their burdens.

Talk to them. Ask how they’re doing. Let them know you care and appreciate them.

Write a note, thanking them for all they do. Be specific.

Bring them lunch. Buy them a coffee and a donut.

You don’t have to empty your pocketbook to let them know they’re appreciated.

And to you – my unsung heroes –

You who stumble me, digg me, retweet my challenges. You who follow my blog and pass it on…

Thank you.

Service in small and simple ways would be so much less meaningful without you.

I appreciate you!
And, remember, Service is the Action Form of Love!

James

1 comment:

Sugar Jones said...

Great reminder. Thank you...