Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sharing Day


Welcome to Tuesday!

Today I’d like to talk about sharing.

Many of us remember in our younger school days a time when we were encouraged to bring some object, person or experience and tell our classmates about them. In my elementary school, this time was called “Show and Tell”. Elsewhere, it’s also known as “Sharing Time”.

As grown-ups, depending on our age and life circumstances, we’ve accumulated experiences, talents and skills that have helped us along the paths we’ve later chosen to take. Nobody’s set of skills is exactly the same as anyone else’s. This makes us a very diverse group of people, and is one reason why one human is not “better” than another human.

I’ve often admired those who can play the violin or piano and share those talents with the world. I’ve never taken music lessons, and so my attempt at performing in an orchestra would only serve to draw unwanted attention to myself. The notes I play would certainly be off-key and very distracting to both the other members of the orchestra and the audience.

But, because I can’t play the violin or piano, does that make me a lesser person than those who can?

Not at all.

It just means I haven’t the talent to play beautiful music like those who have worked so hard to develop their musical talent.

I can and do write – it’s a skill and talent that I’ve worked hard to develop. I have been given a talent, and have worked to grow it. At this point of my life, I can turn abstract ideas into strings of words that make sense.

But again, that doesn’t mean I’m better than someone who cannot write, and certainly I am no better than someone who is struggling as a beginning writer. It just means I have a different talent, or I’ve taken the time to develop the skill.

So it is with you.

You have talents and skills that others around you don’t have. You’re not better than anyone else because of it. You also shouldn’t feel inferior because others have talents and skills you don’t have. It would be a very boring world if we all had the same skills and talents as everyone else.

So, here’s today’s challenge:

Today, seek out someone who wants to learn what you do. Remember, this is all about serving others without fanfare or self-promotion. Just for today, share your talents and skills willingly.

Find someone who wants to learn what you already know and teach them something. It could be a very simple lesson, or it could be more detailed. I’ll leave that up to you.

Are you in a position with your work or avocation where you come into contact with interns or apprentices? Are you a student who “gets it” and knows of someone in your class who doesn’t?

Are you a fantastic cook who knows of someone who seems to burn water but wants to better their cooking skills?

I think you get the idea.

Share what you know.

Be willing to patiently teach someone what you already know and do well.

Don’t do it because you want to further your own aspirations – do it solely because you want to further theirs.

And then, bask in the joy of watching them do something better. Allow yourself to be caught up in the joy of watching them “get it” and improve.

Thank you for letting me share with you. You’ve come back to this blog over and over and over again, and I appreciate that. You’re allowing me the joy of teaching you how to share, how to improve and how to serve others in small and simple ways.

And for that, I appreciate you.

More than you know.

Please feel free to share this with anyone you like. Feel free to Digg this, Stumble it, forward it in an email (please don’t spam others – that’s not sharing – that’s encumbering).

And most of all, remember that Service is the Action Form of Love.

James

No comments: