Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Heart of Hearing


Welcome to Tuesday!

Yesterday’s challenge was about judging others.

Something I’ve found that helps me avoid judging someone in a negative way is to both listen and hear what they’re trying to tell me.

To do this effectively, I’ve found, I can’t just listen with my ears. I have to listen with my heart as well. Sometimes, I get my emotions involved – the good ones.

I try to look past whatever physical obstacles there may be, like the exterior of the person trying to make me understand. Sadly, I’m human and I sometimes let people’s rough or otherwise unusual exterior get in the way of hearing and understanding their needs.

I usually find I do better when I try to “hear between the lines”. This helps me more easily pick up the real meaning of what someone is trying to tell me.

We often speak – and hear – in contradictions. This isn’t always a bad thing, but it can lead to miscommunication and missed messages.

So, here’s your challenge for today.

When someone is trying to get you to really hear them, look past their physical exterior and try to listen with your heart. Don’t cut them off. Don’t anticipate what they’re going to say next (or what you want to say next, for that matter).

Really listen.

And then do all you can to respond with love, caring and positivity. Make them glad they came to you.

Thank you for reading and accepting today’s challenge. I appreciate the time you take to really hear my message with your heart.

Truly, Service is the Action form of Love.

James

1 comment:

chas said...

good challenge, james...i would go so far as to say that if you aren't listening with your heart, you aren't really listening. the brain is just a computer, it's the heart that makes us human.

peace,
chas